Monday, October 20, 2008

Graduation Party

My mom was finally finished her classes for her bachelors. All though she still needs to take the classes for her Teaching Certificate, the long hard part is over. To celebrate this accomplishment my dad and I threw her a surprise party. There was alot of fun going on that I was only able to take a few pictures.

I set up mostly everything the night before as I knew my time would be limited Saturday to get the food, set it up all before she got there. Since my mom really likes Popeyes, we opted for that.




Cards
For her gift, a few days ago she mentioned that one of her brothers stopped by her moms house and gave her mom some Saskatoon Berries. My grandma then made a Saskatoon pie. Apparently one of my moms favorites. Well I think I was able to top that. . . The card reads as follows. . .

Did you know. . .

Serviceberry - Also known as shadebush because they bloom when the shade are running in the spring. The name serviceberry has kind of an interesting etymology, too, that I learned about in college while studying the cemetery in Old Jaffrey Center. Before we has backhoes, graves were obviously dug by hand. So when the serviceberry bloomed, it indicated that the ground had thawed enough to bury the winter's dead. It is also called Juneberry for obvious reasons, as well as Saskatoon which is the Cree word for the plant. The fruit is not actually a berry but a pome, which is the same type of fruit as an apple. The pomes are really vaulable to wildlife, and they're pretty tasty. I had my first one of these this morning, too, although I had some difficulty finding a ripe one. The dark pink in the picture is as ripe as they get, but the birds usually devour them before people get a chance.

Now you are probably thinking to yourself ok, yeah I know this so what's the point. WELL the point is that with all your hard work with great grandma, being a full time teacher, taking classes full time and being a wonderful mother I decided to get you your very own Saskaton (or for the states Serviceberry) tree. It will be here Monday and we can decide wehre to plant it then. Thanks for everything you do mom. I Love You :) Ok yeah I said it :)

I will be taking Saskies (the tree) first picture later this week and continually post pictures as she grows :)



Lunch
Once the cards were give we all sat down for some good food. Please enjoy the random pictures below to capture the lunch.

3 comments:

gina bina said...

Congratulations JoAnn!! What a great accomplishment, you are terrific!

Jennifer said...

I will also be posting this on my mom and dads blog www.budandjo.blogspot.com

Da said...

thanks for inviting us!! it was sooo much fun and helping us babysit. i can't believe you let Clayton jump from the elephant like that.